I heard about the impossible list from Joel Runyon in this article. Shortly after I read about it, I decided to make one of my own. But first,
A bucket list is a static list of things that you hope to accomplish before you die. For the most part, they are filled with wishful goals which may or may not be achievable.
An impossible list is a sort of like a bucket list. The main difference is that it is an evolving list of attainable goals i.e your goals should be challenging but achievable. Your list is always changing based on your experiences and achievements. You can also think of it’s as a ToDo list on steroids.
It encourages you to set attainable goals and after achieving it build on the momentum by accomplishing even bigger goals. For example, one of your goals might be to visit a different country. Once you have achieved that goal, you can take it to the next level by replacing it to “visit 3 countries”.
- Decide which areas of your life you want to focus on.
- Decide the sub-goals of the areas.
- Once you achieve a goal, figure out the next goal
- Share the impossible list publicly so that you can be held accountable. You’ll see mine here.
- Keep checking your list in regular intervals to see how you’re doing and remove goals that do not make sense anymore. For example, after Araaina was born, I dropped a bunch of goals that did not interest or seem attainable to me anymore.
In my opinion, both have their value. If you look at my list, you will notice that although some of the sub-goals are attainable and have the next level, some of them are also wishlist items. Just use whatever makes sense to you. But I would strongly suggest you incorporate some impossible goals into your list :)
If you are looking for inspiration, you can check out my impossible list.