As part of the migration from Gatsby to Statiq, I had to rename all the files with the extension mdx to md. Now, I could do it one by one or find a utility but using a single command is more elegant.
To rename all the files recursively, we can use the REN (rename) command as follows.
FOR /R %G IN (*.mdx) DO REN "%f" "%~dpnG.md"
Let’s unpack this command.
- FOR: Loops through files
- /R: Recurse through subfolders.
- %G: A parameter set to a different value for each iteration of the for loop.
- (*.mdx): The filename pattern that we want to match.
- REN: The command to rename a file
- %~dpnG”: Expands the parameter of the original filename to the fully qualified path without the extension